History of the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs

1248

Louis IX, the French King later canonized as Saint Louis, ordered the establishment of several professional guilds including that of the “Ayeurs” or goose roasters. The purpose of this guild was to improve the technical knowledge of its members: apprentices, tradesmen and masters.

1509

During the reign of Louis XII, the guild’s knowledge was extended to include the preparation of other meats and poultry, including game, and it took the name “Rôtisseurs”.

1610

Creation of the Coat of Arms: It featured two crossed spits and four larding utensils in the centre, surrounded by the flames of the hearth. In today’s version, this historic blazon is encircled by fleurs-de-lys and two chains with the new name of the association in between. The inner chain represents the professional  members, while the outer chain symbolizes the nonprofessional members.

1793

For more than four centuries the Confrérie des Rôtisseurs cultivated and developed the culinary arts. It met all the equirements of professionalism demanded by the “Royal Table”, until 1793 when the Guild system was dissolved during the French Revolution.

1950

Dr. Auguste Bécart, the well-known journalists Jean Valby and Curnonsky (elected ‘Prince of Gastronomes’) and Chefs Louis Giraudon and Marcel Dorin revived the association founding the “Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs”.

1963

The Ordre Mondial des Gourmets Dégustateurs (OMGD) is a specific section of the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs specializing in and concentrating on wines, spirits, liqueurs and crafted beverages. It was founded on September 2, 1963, in Paris and is an integral part of the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs. Its goal is to promote the enjoyment, appreciation and knowledge of fine wines, quality spirits, beers and mineral waters from around the world.

2008

The Chaîne des Rôtisseurs decided to take yet another active and positive role in the world of food by enlarging its area of activity beyond restaurants and hotels to that of ‘Caring and Sharing’. On January 2, 2008, the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs officially registered a charity – the Association Caritative de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs – at the Paris Préfecture of Police. This made possible the launch of programmes in the field of social development aimed at nourishing and improving the living conditions of those in need, especially children.

Today

La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs – International Association of Gastronomy is a truly international society constantly developing and expanding. Represented in all five continents, the Association is dedicated to preserving the traditions and practices of the old guild in a completely contemporary and international context.